Information

Installing TinyMCE with Drupal

DrupallogoI have installed TinyMCE for Drupal several times now, and every time I do it, I get messed up! Although the instructions are complete, somehow they are not really clear. So if you have tried installing TinyMCE in your Drupal installation and you are having problems, read on. You may be making the same mistakes that I have been making, in which case this article will help you.

The first thing to understand is that you must download two separate zip files.

First, there is the TinyMCE Drupal module. In your Drupal installation, place the zip file at [root]/sites/all/modules/. Extract the zip file, which will add the tinymce sub-directory, in which you will find the includes and themes sub-directories.

Second, there is the TinyMCE package itself. Download it, and place it in the newly created [root]/sites/all/modules/includes directory. Extract the zip file, which will create a new tinymce sub-directory, with three sub-directories under that: docs, examples, and jscripts. These three directories must be moved up one level, so that you now have the following three paths:
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/docs
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/examples
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/jscripts

You can now delete the [root]/sites/all/modules/includes/tinymce directory.

The files for TinyMCE are now installed. Enable the module on the Administer>>Modules page (Administer>>Site Building>>Modules for Drupal 5 installations). To control some finer points of what fields can use the editor, go to Administer>>TinyMCE page (Administer>>Site Configuration>>TinyMCE for Drupal 5 installations).

This should give you a fully functional WYSIWIG editor for your Drupal installation. Remember to configure access based on roles, as required, so that the editor appears (or not) for anonymous and authenticated users.

Instructions for adjusting the IMCE module are included with the Drupal TinyMCE module pack. IMCE is a separate plugin.

Comments

25 comments:

You say to put the TinyMCE code in [root]/sites/all/modules/includes, did you mean [root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes? Which would put it in the includes folder in the tinymce module folder?

aaron / January 31st, 2007, 4:57 pm / #

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for double-checking the instructions. For a moment, I though I’d made a mistake and mislead my readers.
I took a second look at my instructions, and at my installation. I have installed the TinyMCE editor just as described above. I do believe that for some installations, it is as you describe - either for an older versions of TineyMCE or for a different content management system. I do remember installing TinyMCE, and having endless confusion as to what should go where (which is why I wrote this post). Anyhow, for Drupal 5, the instructions as I have described them are correct to the best of my knowldege.
Feel free to leave comments if you experience problems with your installation.

Doug / January 31st, 2007, 8:53 pm / #

Thanks Doug, I am having problems getting it to work in Drupal 5 which is what lead me here. I’ll go over your instructions again to see if I can get it work.

aaron / January 31st, 2007, 10:00 pm / #

You’re most welcome, Aaron. I actually followed the instructions that came with the plugin, plus whatever I could find on the Drupal site. It’s all there, but hard to follow and somewhat fragmented. I hope I’ve explained it clearly enough here to help you out. Let me know when you get it working.
Good luck! I’m sure you’ll find it worth the effort once you have it up and running.

Doug / January 31st, 2007, 10:08 pm / #

Doug, just wanted to let you know that I have it working. I was using a template that I customized from 4.7.4. After comparing it with a standard template that comes with 5.0, I found a line dealing with scripts was missing out of my template. When I added it, TinyMCE worked perfectly in my template.

aaron / February 2nd, 2007, 11:16 am / #

I’m unsure which line it was, but one in particular that my template didn’t have was:

aaron / February 2nd, 2007, 6:01 pm / #

The installation path: [root]/sites/all/modules/includes was wrong for me. There is no ‘includes’ folder.
After you do the first step, there are only ‘/sites/all/modules/tinymce/po’ and ‘/sites/all/modules/tinymce/themes’.
The second step will work as long as you ignore ‘includes’ and read the readme file that comes with tinymce.
The final setup that worked for me was:

/sites/all/modules/tinymce/po
/sites/all/modules/tinymce/themes

/sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce
/sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce/docs
/sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce/examples
/sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts

EarlW / February 10th, 2007, 1:28 am / #

Thanks very much for this page as it clarified for me the process after two hours of reading on Internet. I have recently upgraded my site to Drupal 5 from 4.6 and I couldn’t remember how the TinyMCE install worked. It seems unnecessarily complex. Like EarlW I used the “TinyMCE” directory under modules for the drupal 5.x.1.dev download and then a subdirectory of this called TinyMCE for the 2_0_9 code from tghe Moxiecode site Creating a role and profile is also important and need done!

Cheers

Andy / February 12th, 2007, 1:40 pm / #

I’ve got a brand new install of Drupal 5.1 but there is only

[root]/sites/all/

not
[root]/sites/all/modules/
or
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/

Do I need to create them myself?

ReaderX / March 7th, 2007, 1:42 pm / #

Hi ReaderX

I suggest you create the missing directories. Please let me know if that works and I will update the instructions accordingly.

Doug / March 12th, 2007, 2:48 pm / #

Thanx for the site, but it doesn’t work at all…

I have two sites based on the same engine Drupal 5

On both servers (of the same one provider) i have TinyMCE in location:
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/dosc
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/examples
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/jscripts
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/po
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/themes

It works on Nenagh.pl but it doesn’t on Carlow.pl

It is ridiculous, and on almost every page or drupal forum everybody provides completely different information…

is there any suitable solution?

Regards…

MacKozer / March 14th, 2007, 6:36 am / #

Ok.. I solved it… here is a location for Tiny_Mce for my both sites

[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes/dosc
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes/examples
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/includes/jscripts
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/po
[root]/sites/all/modules/tinymce/themes

It works on both of my sites…
I must admit I have some mess in /sites/all/modules/tinymce due to the lack of one good solution, that results in trying many options of files placement.

Regards!

MacKozer / March 14th, 2007, 6:56 am / #

Hi Mackozer,

Thanks for sharing your frustrations and your solution. It was my own frustrations in trying to get TinyMCE to work that prompted me to write this article in the first place. The lack of consistency across Drupal installations is puzzling and rather weird.

If anyone knows why apparently identical Drupal installations can behave so differently, please post a comment with and explanation or a link to an article with an explanation!

Doug / March 14th, 2007, 9:09 am / #

Thanks for the info Mackozer! I finally got it working in Drupal 5.1 according to your specs!

Thank you for making this post Doug, couldn’t have done it without it!

VizionQuest / April 21st, 2007, 5:44 pm / #

Thanks for this. It worked but only after I DID NOT move the tinymce files. Seems as if the current drupal plugin is looking for the includes in sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce

Eric Fields / June 12th, 2007, 11:19 pm / #

Hi,

I followed Mackozer instructions.

In my install, everything was good except where he had the dictory ‘includes’ (which didn’t work for me), I have ‘tinymce’.

So far so good.

Cheers for all the help!

Paul / June 29th, 2007, 1:16 am / #

Hi folks,

I’m new to drupal and tinyMCE, looking for a good solution to buid an easy-to-use website for my university dept …
I installed drupal and the tinyMCE plugin thanks to the help found on the web, *BUT* I still have a problem: when I try to create some content in drupal (say a “book” page for instance), I get *BOTH* the standard textarea *AND* the tinyMCE one. And of course, everything I do with the second is lost when the submit button is pressed :-(

Any idea why I get both editing areas?
Thanks in advance!
PL

phl / July 18th, 2007, 3:45 am / #

Working on a test drupal 5.2 website for a business site and having the darned tinymce install problems. Followed the instructions here (more than one set of them!).
What finally worked for me:
sites/all/modules/tinymce
sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce

I added directories ‘includes’ and ‘themes’ in ’sites/all/modules/tinymce’ as they weren’t in the most recent module, but putting anything in them kept giving me an error message that “tinymce engine cannot be found.”
This is more like the old tinymce installation, the only difference being it is in the sites/all/modules directory rather than the other modules directory. I’m still not used to this change as I’ve installed all my other modules in the drupal/modules

Jim / August 26th, 2007, 11:59 am / #

Jim…

I too am having the same problem. When I install the TINYMCE module in drupal/modules, it works perfectly, but if I install it in ’sites/all/modules/tinymce’ it isnt recognized at all. Its like the Drupal installation isnt looking in ’sites/all/modules’ at all. Perhaps a bug in 5.2?

Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
THanks.

Brian / September 5th, 2007, 1:03 am / #

I have been following the instructions precisely and if I place jscripts examples etc. in sites/all/modules/includes (which I had to create myself) if generates an error when I go to configure TinyMCE in Drupal as follows:-

Could not find the TinyMCE engine installed at sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce/. Please download TinyMCE, uncompress it and copy the folder into sites/all/modules/tinymce.

Doughnut / December 5th, 2007, 2:22 pm / #

Working!

I just found another posting on Drupal.org. Although I set up an alternative Admin user than the original user 1 (as advised in getting started), I had forgotten to login with it, I had also forgotten to add user 1 to the roles that had TinyMCE permissions. Newbie mistake!

BTW with Drupal 5.3, TinyMCE 2.1.3 and module:tinymce-5.x-1.9 my install is as follows:-
sites/all/modules/tinymce contains the modules files (I unzipped and then copied them in.
sites/all/modules/tinymce/tinymce contains examples and jscripts (I didn’t get a docs folder).

This is as in the install.txt with the module.

Hope that helps.

Doughnut / December 5th, 2007, 2:44 pm / #

This installer made things super easy for me. I just put the tinymce package from the tinymce website in the drupal module folder and ran the automatic configure module from at Administer -> Site configuration ->
TinyMCE — create default profile
And it was set up perfectly. Then you can administer it from the Site Configuration page. It took all of 2 minutes!

TQ / March 10th, 2008, 3:43 am / #

I couldn’t make it work until I realized that since my website is localized with i18n, I had to change the URLs in TinyMCE’s visibility settings :

node/*
user/*
comment/*

to

*node/*
*user/*
*comment/*

because i18n adds en/ fr/ nl/ before the URL.

miendo / June 19th, 2008, 5:12 am / #

[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/docs
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/examples
[root]/sites/all/modules/includes/jscripts

You can now delete the [root]/sites/all/modules/includes/tinymce directory.

better and clearer presentation required.

steve / September 17th, 2008, 6:29 am / #

Thanks for posting, the last comment about the i18n module for multilingual support was causing my issues, thanks for the fix,

GP / December 7th, 2008, 8:52 pm / #